Religion

Islam is the official religion of Kuwait. Muslims make up approximately 85% of Kuwait’s total population, with Christians, Hindus and other religions accounting for the remaining 15%.

Kuwait has almost 1000 mosques, from the simple to the elaborate, with the Grand Mosque, located in Kuwait City, covering an internal area of 20,000 square metres.

Muslims are required to carry out formal prayer five times a day according to the position of the sun; before dawn, at noon, during the afternoon, after sunset and in the evening. Calls to prayer emanate from loudspeakers at every mosque, reminding the faithful of prayer times.

The numerous mosques throughout Kuwait ensure that all Muslims have easy access to somewhere to pray, although women generally tend to pray at home. However, it is not uncommon to see the faithful praying at the side of the road or in the desert, and in prayer rooms located in shopping malls, hospitals and offices. Friday is the Islamic holy day and Muslims make a special effort to ensure that they pray at a mosque for the lunchtime congregational prayers.

Islam has Five Pillars : Testimony of Faith, Prayer, Fasting, Almsgiving and Pilgrimage. Every Muslim who is financially and physically able is expected to make the pilgrimage (Hajj) to Makkah, in Saudi Arabia, at least once in their lifetime.

Kuwait is tolerant of many other religions, a number of which are allowed to practice freely .

Kuwait maintain a strong relationship with the Vatican.

There are three principal churches in Kuwait: the National Evangelical Church (Protestant), the Roman Catholic Church, and the Roman Orthodox Church.